Africa Centre Out of School Time (ACOST)
Lead Partner: The Boys & Girls Clubs Big Brothers Big Sisters of Edmonton & Area (BGCBigs)
Purpose: To facilitate healthy development of children, youth and their families by providing safe places, positive relationships, services and opportunities to develop strengths and interpersonal skills that enhance long term success.
Description: Programs are developed to offer children and youth growth, empowerment, life skills and leadership opportunities to build the knowledge and capacities they need to achieve their full potential. Key areas of focus are arts and culture, physical activity, health and nutrition, and academic support.
- Individual Capacity – all children and youth should have the capacity to lead full and rewarding lives and become contributing adult members of their community.
- Nurturing Environments – children and youth should grow up in an environment that supports their well-being and enables them to reach their full potential.
- Loving Families – the healthy development of a young person is best fostered within the context of a caring and loving family.
- Positive Relationships – We believe that a young person’s healthy development can be enhanced by positive nurturing relationships with caring adults.
- Target group: 5-17 year-old boys and girls
- Staffing: Two full-time BGCBigs employees implement Club program activities in partnership with the Africa Centre.